In Microsoft terms a video conference is called a Meeting. You can have a meeting with anyone, even with a Participant Outside Your Organization (POYO). POYOs are anybody with an email address which has a different domain than your own. The Team App will invite them to join the meeting by sending them an email which contains a link. Because setting up the meeting is done through email (and not in real time), you will need to schedule the meeting, even if you are scheduling the meeting for “right now”. If you wish to start a “right now” meeting and all participants are PIYOs (Participant Inside Your Organization), then please see that article. If any of the participants are POYOs or you wish to schedule a meeting ahead of time, then please follow this article.
What you need to create the meeting:
- A computer with a camera and a microphone.
- An internet connection.
- An appropriate MS Office 365 license
- The Teams App installed on your computer
What the POYO needs to join the meeting:
- A PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone or Android phone.
- An internet connection, or a cellular data plan.
- If you want to be able to see and hear the POYO through Teams, their device requires a camera and microphone.
- The POYO does *not* require a Teams/Microsoft account.
What is Microsoft Teams?:
Work remotely without feeling remote
Get started with Teams:
Take your first steps
Meet with people inside your organization:
Video conference with someone inside your organization
Meet with people outside your organization:
Video conference with someone outside your organization
Join a Meeting:
How to join a meeting as an outside participant
Several suggestions to easily navigate the many features
- When clicking the link to join the meeting, the POYO will be prompted to download/install the Teams app, or to just join it through their browser. The Teams app will provide a better experience, and is the preferred method especially if they will be joining more meetings.
- You cannot join a POYO to an existing meeting by entering their email address in Teams. You will have to click the Copy Link Info icon () and paste the link into an email in your email client. Alternatively, you can cancel the current meeting and create a new one with the existing participants and the desired POYO. PIYO can be joined to existing meetings by simply entering their email address in Teams.
With Teams your company can provide the tools to allow your employees to quickly and easily work together emulating online the environment of a typical office. Despite the geographic distances, they can easily speak face-to-face or in groups, chat and catch up on the latest details, look over each other’s shoulders as they collaborate on a document, and scan the company’s document library.
Best of all, these tools are absolutely free.
Start a Meeting with a POYO
If you have questions about this, please let us know and we will be happy to assist you.