Viewing and Removing shared file links
Over time, you may send and receive a number of file links. To keep your lists manageable and to maintain security, we recommend that you remove unnecessary links after they have served their purpose.
Unmanaged links can be a security risk. Remember, that when you send a link with the option “People in your organization with the link”, then anyone with the link will have a access to the document regardless of their SharePoint permissions. Anyone you send it to, can resend it to others. Deleting the link once the person you sent it do no longer needs it removes that risk.
Manage your “Shared with you” list
View your “Shared with you” list
From your OneDrive window, click the Shared link on the left
The default “Shared with you” list displays the files that have been shared with you be someone else.
- The “Shared with you” folder will contain files from both SharePoint and OneDrive that were shared with you. Providing that they were shared using the “People in your organization with the link can view” option.
- The “Shared by” column will indicate who shared the file with you.
- Files shared from OneDrive will have a path that starts with “personal >” as the first item above does.
- Files shared from SharePoint will have a path that starts with “sites >” as the second and third items above do.
Delete a file from your “Shared with you” list
Click the menu icon () of the file you desire to delete and select “Remove from shared list”
Confirm the removal
The file or folder will be removed from your “Shared with you” list.
- This process will NOT delete the file from the SharePoint library or OneDrive folder from which it was shared with you. You are only removing the link that was given to you.
Manage your “Shared by you” list
View your “Shared by you” list
From your OneDrive window, click the “Shared” link on the left, then click “Shared by you” at the top
The “Shared by you” list displays your OneDrive files that you have shared with others.
- Files from SharePoint which you have shared will NOT be listed here. Only OneDrive files will be listed.
- The Location column will display where in your OneDrive folder(s) this file resides.
Delete a file from your “Shared by you” list
Click the menu icon () of the file you desire to delete and select “Manage Access”
This will display the item’s “Manage Access” window. Click the More Options icon next to the share link.
This will display the users with whom you have shared the file (listed under the heading “Shared with”). Click the X to the right of the share link:
Confirm the deletion
- This will delete the shared link for all users you have shared the file with.
Why do I need to remove old links?
Over time, you may end up with several links you have sent and received. This can make it more difficult to find the more recent ones and/or the one you frequently use. You can pin these VIP links to the top to find them more easily, but you can also just delete outdated ones. Also, since some links allow anybody who receives the link to have access to the file (not just the person you sent it to), you should delete links after they are needed for security reasons.
If you have questions about this, please let us know and we will be happy to assist you.