It’s hard to believe that it’s been over 25 years since this journey began. In those days the Internet was just starting to have an impact on small businesses. For most of them email was a new medium that allowed them to communicate instantaneously, but was still secondary to phone calls, faxes and even letters. Websites were not a driving force, and if you were careful about opening emails you could probably get away without antivirus programs.
Things have certainly changed since then. During HDF’s lifetime:
- The primary operating system moved from DOS to Windows – 95, 98, XP, 7, 8.1, 10 (Yes, I skipped some on purpose… trying to forget them)
- Netscape went from rags to riches to rags, and then rose again in the form of Firefox as open source software.
- Antivirus went from an afterthought to a must-have
- Google came from nowhere to become the dominant search engine and then a formidable player in many other tech areas
- Smart phones arrived allowing us to bring the Internet with us wherever we go
- YouTube became *the* place to post all videos, including personal rants, business tutorials and almost every sitcom ever created
- Social networking reintroduced us to our high school buddies and introduced us to everyone they now call friends
- Ebay opened the world to us as a new market place to sell the boxes of things that were previously filling up our attics
- Amazon gave us access to every book ever printed (well, almost every), and expanded to sell us everything else
- We learned to express our thoughts in 140 characters or less for Twitter
- We were introduced to new words and phrases such as: blog, ISP, browser, URL, jpeg, RAM, kilo/mega/giga/tera/peta-byte, emoticon, bandwidth, IP Address, Cloud, smartphone, and (unfortunately) malware
We are honored to still be supporting our very first client from 1995 and are pleased to have been able to support all of our clients through these interesting and sometimes challenging changes. Here’s to the next 23 years and all of the exciting new developments they will bring!